WiFi / Internet / Synching Basics for All Sports

Introduction

PractiScore uses WiFi and Internet but does not require them to be on all the time. It uses WiFi to easily synchronize multiple tablets scoring data for a consolidated results view.

As an aside, synching can also be done by other means, such as AirDrop on iOS devices, and Files on both Android and iOS. But for the purpose of this article, we will cover WiFi and Internet.

Here are the basics of WiFI and Internet for PractiScore users.

When is Internet Required?

Technically, never. You could design a match, add competitors, add stages, score them, and get results - all without ever touching the internet.

When a PractiScore scoring app (iOS or Android) sees the internet certain features become available:

• Posting results to PractiScore.com
  • Emailing backups of the match
  • Score logging (e-mailed logs of all edits of scores)
  • PIN code downloading of match registrations from PractiScore.com

Is WiFi Required?

WiFi is used to synch one tablet’s match information to another tablet. But there are other ways to do this. You could use AirDrop on iOS and never have Wifi. Or you could use a similar file transfer system for Android, or iOS Files.

AirDropping synching with no wifi. Slick!

This works similiarly with iOS Files, and Android’s sharing system as well.

WiFi Security is REALLY IMPORTANT

I"M GONNA SHOUT FOR A BIT… USE A SECURE NETWORK THAT ONLY YOU AND YOUR SCORING DEVICES HAVE ACCESS TO.

Do not let competitors on. Don’t let friends on. The basis of PractiScore security is WiFi security. If anybody can be on, then anyone can pull data and see the match, and edit the match. The second level of security is PULL not PUSH… nobody can push a match to you. And you should know what devices you want to pull from.

Let me SAY IT AGAIN.

USE A SECURE NETWORK.
DO NOT SHARE ACCESS.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Synching Via WiFi

You will need both devices on the SAME network. PractiScore does not synch beyond the current network for security, and also error control, reasons.

Note that Sync code in the bottom left. If for some reason we can’t automatically find your device, usually due to network security, that will find it if it is on the same network.

Touch “Sync Devices” and away we go. (Note I’m doing this on iOS device but it’s nearly identical in the Android version).

Now you enter the “Sync Page”. Lots going on here, I’ve annotated a screenshot for the big items.

Check it out. It’s a bit different on Android but the concepts are the same.

To Sync just touch the device and it will confirm, and then tell you what is gonna happen if you synch:

Hit Accept Changes and you have now incorporated that other tablets data into yours.

IMPORTANT

PractiScore uses a latest wins model of conflict resolution. If a change is later, for instance a score, than one you currently have, then it is used as the current score, or stage, or shooter name, or any other data. Don’t worry, you can undo this if you want. Nothing is really ever deleted in PractiScore, it’s generally safe to explore, because UnDo and Recover is your friend.

1 Like